Volunteers play a huge role in helping our adult learners reach their educational goals. You don’t need to be a teacher….you just need a desire to share your skills and experiences to make a difference in the life of a student!
We’re looking for volunteers who can:
- Help a new American student improve his English language skills
- Prepare a student for the GED Test
- Work with a young person on a science project
- Help someone learn how to read
- Tutor a small group in math skills, computer skills, or other area of interest/expertise
- Answer the phone and welcome students to the learning center
- Have a minimum of a high school diploma credential with a strong preference for working towards a college degree
- Be at least 18 years old
- Commit to tutoring once a week for at least 3 months
- Willingness to be creative, flexible, enthusiastic and have a strong commitment to help others
- Be patient and culturally sensitive when interacting with students
VAL conducts a confidential, national criminal records check on all volunteers.
To learn about volunteer opportunities in your area, please contact your local Learning Center.